Beets are full of great stuff for you! They are one of nature’s most colorful and mineral packed foods. Beets are valued for being a blood purifier and liver cleanser. They improve blood flow and lower blood pressure and are also a unique source of betaine, a nutrient that protects cells and organs and fights inflammation. Beets are high in vitamin C, fiber, iron and essential minerals. So eat your beets!
Beet and Barley Salad
1 cup dry barley
1 1/2 cup garbanzo beans
1 bunch kale
3/4 cup crumbled feta
3 tablespoons lemon juice
3 tablespoons olive oil
1. Cook Beets: Heat oven to 400. Place beets on a pan and cook in the oven for 45 minutes or until soft. Take out, let cool. Cut beets into small cubes.
2. Cook Barley: Combine 1 cup dry barley with 2 ½ cups water in medium sauce pan. Bring to a boil over high heat, reduce to low heat and let simmer for 10 minutes. Remove from heat, let stand for 5 minutes. Drain remaining water.
3. Chop kale into small shreds.
4. Mix beets, barley, garbanzo beans, kale and feta together in large bowl.
5. Stir in olive oil, lemon and salt and pepper to taste.
Comments will be approved before showing up.